Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2016 13:36:28 -0700
From:      Jim Harris <jim.harris@gmail.com>
To:        David Somayajulu <david.somayajulu@qlogic.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>,  "freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org>, "davidcs@freebsd.org" <davidcs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NVMe over Fabrics

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM, David Somayajulu <
david.somayajulu@qlogic.com> wrote:

> During this year's BSDCAN I came to know that NVMe over Fabric code was
> released by Intel under GPL license and hence could not be ported to
> FreeBSD.

> Is there a parallel implementation for FreeBSD underway ? Also is there
> anyone in Intel that we can work with to have the code dual licensed.

Hi David,

SPDK (http://spdk.io) has a BSD-licensed userspace NVMe over Fabrics target
that could be used as a starting point.

Any questions around dual licensing the Linux kernel implementation should
go to the NVM Express Working Group.  The Linux kernel implementation was a
joint development effort from several NVM Express member companies - not
just Intel.

-Jim