Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:50:50 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS & virtual hosting the hard way

Hey all...

I'm not sure how to phrase my question correctly, so please bear with me.

Right now, I'm running a box off the university system in my apartment -
static IP.  I was looking to register a few domain names (so that I'll have
them when I need them in a couple of months).  As it stands right now, the
university's DNS tables have me in as students157-57.udel.edu.  If I got a
domain name, the unversity has no problem with me having it point to my
box, but they will not modify/add to their existing DNS tables.  My
understanding is that that would have to happen in order for foo.bar (or
whatever the domain is) to point to my box.

Is there any other way around that?  For example, could I set up my own
DNS, add myself to the list, and then would it propagate?

I'm not sure if this question is clear or not, so please ask me to rephrase
or provide more info is necessary.

As always, thanks in advance!!!
--John Papalia