Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 06:18:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chris@bb.cc.wa.us, karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, AdamT@smginc.com, mike@smith.net.au, kpielorz@tdx.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD updated Installation / Adminsitration Kit

> > 3)	If during configuration, it asks if you want to reboot, and
> > 	instead of waiting until you have installed everything, you
> > 	*foolishly* say "yes".
> > 	This is pilot error.
>
> I personally believe that it is design error, since you give the user
> no information to tell if everything has been detected, so the user
> doesn't know when to reboot.  It's also a documentation error... the
> fact that 'no' is quicker is not documented.

We've travelled this ground before.

Make something easier to install than Windows 95, and make it run
all their old software, and people will use it.  Right now, you haven't
even got the first, let alone the second.

It may be poor design, but it's better than its competition.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.