Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:06:33 -0700
From:      dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
To:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD cures RSI

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 11:10:14AM +1200, Craig Harding wrote:
> Kris Kirby wrote:
>
> > I can't touch type that well, but I'd like to think I'm doing ok. I
> > think I need to spend some time with kp (from the ports collection).
>
> The really handy thing about touch typing (apart from all the
> obviously handy things like being able to type really fast) is that a
> lot of the common phrases and words you use become patterned into
> muscle memory. This came in very useful the time I realised I'd
> forgotten the password to a system I hadn't used in several months. I

[...]

I type with my left hand.  I do it really fast because over many years I've
formed a pretty good connection between seeing out the keys with my eyes while
I type and sending accurate instructions to my fingers.  This system, while
limited in top speed, has a few upshots:

1) Leaves my right hand free to mouse right-handed.

2) I can type about as fast as others who touvh-type at normal speeds.

3) By ignoring the screen, I can concentrate more on the text that I am
creating.  This kicks but for pre-writing.

4) It attracts attention and intimidates people. :)

-danny

--
dannyman - http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/