Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 10:24:56 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Kristian Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        dg@root.com, rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

> I should also note that at that time the web documentation still referred
> to 2.1 as the stable branch, and 2.2 as current, which did not help to
> ease my confusion. I should HOPE this has changed by now :)

It should be, though if you find any instances where it's still not,
please point them out to www@freebsd.org! :)

> So if my opinion counts for anything in this debate, it goes for the
> 2.2.5-stable branch name. :)

But the branch is called RELENG_2_2 - that is physically the name of
the tag.  There is no RELENG_2_2_5 branch tag, which is what your
suggestion would imply and cause even more confusion.

I think we're really better off just leaving it the heck alone for
now.  During BETA test is *not* the time to contemplate major changes
in our release engineering strategy, for better or for worse.  This
should have been brought up several months ago if Rod was actually
hoping for any sort of genuine effect here. :-) As it is, I certain
intend on doing absolutely nothing different than "usual" at this late
stage in the game.

					Jordan