Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 2017 09:22:27 -0500
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        "Matthew Seaman" <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-10.3 No ntpd.pid file created

On Mon, February 6, 2017 19:04, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 06/02/2017 21:42, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> Somehow system 1 is starting ntpd without passing the pidfile
>> argument.  However, I have diffed the /etc/rc.d/ntpd files from both
>> systems against each other and there are no differences.  So, how
>> can
>> this be?
>
> grep ntp /etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.d/* /etc/defaults/rc.conf
>
> Look for the setting of a variable 'ntpd_flags' specifically.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

That was it exactly.  Our /etc/rc.conf was overriding /etc/rc.d/ntpd
by setting ntpd_flags="".  I must have done this when trying to
discover why ntpd kept halting on our samba server without
understanding the implications.  Well, I do now.

Thank you very much.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3