Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:30:38 -0500
From:      "Kemokai, Saffa" <SKemokai@ORA.FDA.GOV>
To:        "'Zaitsau, Andrei'" <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com>, "Kemokai, Saffa" <SKemokai@ORA.FDA.GOV>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Mutlti-boot w/win2k professional

From: Zaitsau, Andrei [mailto:AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 11:05 AM
To: 'Kemokai, Saffa'; 'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'

I think You can use 1 Drive but with 2 partitions on it.... 1st one For
FreeBSD 2nd one for W2K.
But if it's already installed(I mean W2K and FreeBSD) try to set FreeBSD
partition as active (e.g. with help of fdisk), but do not set Microsoft
partition as active.
And one more thing, I do not know if FreeBSD boot Manager will boot NTFS
Microsoft Partition (At least I could not work it out), but when I used FAT
filesystem with W2K pro it boots fine with FreeBSD.
Good Luck !

I think you have just provided me with major issues to look at now. My W2K
is in NTFS format. NTFS/FAT may in fact be the issue. Let me play with it
with these new info.

Thanks

Saffa

I had the same configuration.
The thing I did:
1) Created 2 partitions on Hard Drive
2) On the second partition I installed W2K Pro
3) I made 1st partition active and installed FreeBSD 4.1.1
4) I used FreeBSD boot manager.
 Whoalah, it worked ! I had choice between W2K and FreeBSD :)
Andrei.

Thanks Andrei:

It does look exactly what I did except I used 2 separate drives - drive 0
holding w2k and drive 1 holding FreeBSD. I was hoping that by default,
FreeBSD will load the bootloader on drive 0 or C. Maybe I do have machine
situation since I started out doubting the Bios itself anyway...:)

SaffA

Hello:

I am not sure whether I have a machine problem per se or config problem
trying to multi-boot FreeBSD 3.3 with Windows 2000 Professional.

I had Win2k installed first. I later installed FreeBSD 3.3 making sure that
BfreeBSD boot manager is accepted or included during the process of creating
the slices.  The installation completed fine but does boot to multi
environment to select the OS I want to use. Instead, it boots directly into
Win2k.

Any ideas what needs to be done here?

Thanks ..:)

Saffa