Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 09:09:15 -0700
From:      Don Dugger <dugger@hotlz.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Dr. Hein" <s.hein@spinner.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrades [each time more trouble]

Let me start by saying that upgrading any OS is a problem. With Windoze
the bugs it introduces are hidden by the general buggy nature of the OS.
My customer on Sun usually wait until Sun no longer supports the version
there on before upgrading, and same with HP UX. Redhat has done a great
deal of work to make upgrades easier with varying success.

Having said that, I too feel that FreeBSD community has put less effort
in making upgrades easier. I started with FreeBSD 1.5 and some upgrades
went well and other gave me problems. In all cases they were an effort,
which I did not look forward to. There has been a project in work
towards this as far back as I've been using FreeBSD, but it seems not
mush progress has been made. I think this maybe due to the fact that the
effort has been to make the install easier rather then the upgrade
easier. I have seen HOW TOs, but there usually out of date with each
release. I tried writing scripts to reinstall the packages and ports,
but with release they had to modified.

Now having said that, I would rather use FreeBSD then any other OS. I'm
bring this up to see what others think and what sort of solution others
are using.

Don 8)