Date:      Thu, 09 Mar 2000 14:24:02 -0600
From:      James <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
To:        Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, james@icorp.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID/config questions

> Rather than one-line sniping, could you elaborate?  Performance
> doesn't degrade when rebuilding the hot spare into the RAID5
> array?  RAID1+0 isn't comparable in performance to RAID5 for
> some tasks?  Rebuilding wasn't marginally noticable on the RAID1+0
> array?  If you have specific quibbles with my statement, I'd be
> more than happy to go go back and do some different tests, if it
> looks like we missed something.

I'm under the assumption that hardware RAID is preferable over software RAID.
I know many freeBSD users are basically taking advantage of the OS's power and
using older hardware configurations to produce performance that rivals other
"high level" OS's such as Windoze.  I'm interested in some recommendations on
a reasonably priced (under $2k) yet very high performance setup for RAID -
anyone have any specific recommendations?

I'm enjoying the dialogue on abstract performance issues - obviously you guys
have experience, so why not outline what you're using, and in what kind of
application?  I'm looking for something for a web/e-mail box that will do
about 350Gb a day in transfer so I need something that's solid and high
performance.