Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:33:33 +0200
From:      Lars Koeller <Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freefall.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems connection a terminal!!

   Hi!

      I'm going to become  crazy! I try to  connect a terminal(Wyse WY-160)
   to my 2.1.0-R FreeBSD box.  I've  tried several null modem cables (cause
   the terminal has  a DTE port. The  most working configuration leads to a
   connection  where FreeBSD   understands everything. Login/logout   works
   pretty well  also starting  a  command, but the  screen of   my terminal
   always keeps black!

   The cable configuration is out of the Nemeth sysadmin book

	1 - 1
        2 - 3
        3 - 2
	4 - 5
	5 - 4
      6,8 - 20
	7 - 7
       20 - 6,8

      When  output from  FreeBSD is send   to the terminal  ONLY (S)RTS  19
   flashes!?!, ps shows

	29343  d2  Ss+    0:00.04 /usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyd2

   and if I'm locked in w gives

	USER     TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
	lkoeller d2  -                 3:16PM     - -bash (bash)

      so everything  seems to be o.k.   but I never  get a character on the
   terminal   only  if I switch    on  local echo.   I've  also  tried  any
   possible configuration for the terminal (Duplex/Halfduplex, DSR, ..).

   What can I test/change/do anymore?

   Thanks

   Lars
Lars Köller                  Phone:  +49 381/498-1665, Fax: -1667
University of Rostock        E-Mail:
Department of Physics          Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE
Universitätsplatz 3          Anonymous ftp:
D-18051 Rostock (Germany)      ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de/pub