Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:58:57 +0800 (HKT)
From:      "Gelsema, P \(Patrick\)" <gelsemap@superhero.nl>
To:        "Donald Laniohan" <donald@mlansd.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: my brother is making me learn FreeBSD...

On Thu, March 20, 2008 15:32, Donald Laniohan wrote:
> My task is to build a BSD server and do something with it. That is all the
> information he gave me, that, and any questions I have to make Google my
> best friend, which I have. i remember building my first whitebox, it was a
> 386 with windows 3.1. I remember when I built my 486 and stole a copy of
> windows 95. I thought I was a savage. BSD, however, has showed me how
> juvenile I have been. If I do not master BSD my brother is going to keep
> me
> as a desktop support for his windows clients and I want to progress past
> this. So he's giving me a 1u, and said to put BSD on it and make it do
> something, im just so stuck in my windows comfort zone I can't think of
> what
> I would need a unix server to that I couldn't make windows do for me. I
> know
> this is trivial but if somebody could offer any suggestion or resource I,
> and my career, would greatly appreciate it

make it a webserver (apache)
Make it a proxy (squid)
make it an email server (www.tnpi.biz/mailtoaster)
make it a DNS server (Bind)
make it a database server (mysql/postgresql)
make it a firewall (a proper one, not like windows)
make it a vpn server (can windows do this out of the box?)
make it a sniffer (definitely something that windows cant do out of the box)
and so forth..

everything you run on windows can be run on Freebsd and more.

It is hard to install something not knowing what you want. I mean
installing windows 2003 out of the box wont do you any good as well,
untill you configured the services which you want.

So.. a nice task could be.. replacing the windows 2003/2000/2008 server
with a Freebsd box and not loosing functionality for the end user.

So pick a win box, write down what it is doing for you. THen find the
FreebSd ports for it and try to have it working.

Good luck