Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 09:16:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> "Neal E. Westfall" wrote:
> > > IMO, they had practical purpose.  You can always trace taboos
> > > back to community experiential knowledge.  I rather think the
> > > pork taboo was rooted in disease avoidance, since there are a
> > > lot of diseases that cross species boundaries with pork, if it
> > > is not prepared properly.  Lacking sufficient foundation to
> > > discover what "properly" was, the taboo was established (there
> > > are alternate theories; that oneis merely the simplest).
> >
> > Here's mine:  The people of Israel were set aside by God as His
> > chosen people.  As such they were to be distinguished from the
> > gentiles through ceremonial practices, one of which included not
> > eating pork.  When the Messiah came, God expanded His promises
> > to the whole world, there was no longer to be any distinction
> > between jew and gentile, for all are one in Christ, thus to
> > retain the ceremonial laws would be to not admit that Christ
> > now joined the two peoples together in reconciliation with God.
> >
> > What do you think?  8-)
>
> I think it fails the simplicity test, and it fails the predictive
> test.
>
> Your theory requires additional axioms that are not required by
> the previous theory,

Yes, but *your* theory requires that one set aside the law of
non-contradiction.  Self-creation is a logical impossibility.

> and your theory failed to predict accurately
> the newly created taboo against the eating of non-fully-cooked beef
> in Britain and elsewhere as a result of the discovery of the prion
> source of BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, otherwise known
> as "mad cow disease"), or the ability of the disease to cross
> species boundaries into humans, and exhibit as nvCJD (new variant
> Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease).

It was never intended to predict such things, only the reason for
the prohibition of certain taboos within the context of OT Israel
at a particular point in redemptive history.  Your attempt to give
another reason is a subtle begging of the question and rationalization
to support your rejection of God.

Neal