Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2008 01:36:37 +0300
From:      Lena@lena.kiev.ua
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PAM error: error in service module

P.S.  I posted:

> I'm trying to set up Exim in a jail to authenticate using the
> security/pam_pop3 port.

Exim runs not as root when authenticating, so neither Exim nor PAM it called
can read master.passwd, it's why I need pam_pop3.

> /etc/pam.d/exim contains one line:
>
> auth required /usr/local/lib/pam_pop3.so hostname=localhost debug pwprompt=Password: timeout=5

> How can I debug further?

I tried strace and truss unsuccessfully because mount_procfs
is forbidden inside the jail. Then I used ktrace and saw that
/etc/pam.d/other is read. Then I googled for `pam_pop3 pam.d`,
saw http://xmailforum.homelinux.net/index.php?showtopic=2354
and added second line to /etc/pam.d/exim :

account required pam_permit.so

That solved the problem.

Sorry for bothering the list. I hope that this recipe will be searchable.

Lena