Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:28:04 -0600
From:      "Minnesota Slinky" <mnslinky@yahoo.com>
To:        "'Gregory Sutter'" <gsutter@zer0.org>, "'SWIT'" <mark@s-wit.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: SCO going after BSD???

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Gregory Sutter
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 7:39 PM
To: SWIT
Cc: chat@FreeBSD.org; freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

On 2003-11-19 20:11 -0500, SWIT <mark@s-wit.net> wrote:
> is this a unix thing or what.
>  many times i get messages from the list were the message is an
attachment
> and not in the email.
> was curious as to why.

The messages you see as attachments are messages that have been PGP
signed to prove their authenticity.  The problem is with Outlook
Express.  Not only does it fail to support PGP/MIME (many programs
don't support PGP/MIME and still can display PGP signed email
correctly), but it is actually broken.  Outlook Express ignores the
following MIME headers in the message:

These headers show that the part is not an attachment but should be
displayed inline, and that it contains pure text that doesn't need a
special handler to be displayed.  Why Outlook Express fails to
recognize this, and why Microsoft fails to issue a patch to fix the
problem, is unknown.

[
Response paraphrased from:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2003-September/020155.html
]

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                   Fighting ignorance since 1975!
mailto:gsutter@zer0.org             (It's taking longer than I thought.)