Date:      Sat, 09 Jan 2010 15:16:47 -0500
From:      PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port-MESS with apache22 update

On 1/9/2010 11:41 AM, PJ wrote:
> On 1/9/2010 4:34 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> PJ wrote:
>>
>>> Upgraded to 8.0 without problem.
>>> Reinstalling ports was tedious... but NP for most part.
>>> Sommehow the installation of apache22 stumbled over some configuration
>>> issues, I think....
>>> I found that apache was running ok, except...
>>> php5 module was not correctly installed...
>>>
>> mod_php5 isn't built by default when you install php5.  This catches
>> out a very large number of people, and it is particularly astonishing
>> as integrating php into apache is probably the number one reason for
>> installing php.
>>
>> Sounds like you may need to do this:
>>
>>    # cd /usr/ports/lang/php5
>>    # make config
>>    [ Make sure the option for 'Build Apache Module' is checked ]
>>    # portupgrade -f lang/php5
>>
>>      -or-
>>
>>    # portmaster --force-config -f lang/php5
>>

>> It might also be necessary to rebuild all of the php5 modules -- plus
>> any pecl- modules.  At the cost of reinstalling pear- modules and PHP
>> apps (which should be fairly cheap, as the port installation process for
>> that sort of port consists almost entirely of copying files into place)
>> you can just do this:
>>
>>    # portupgrade -fr lang/php5
>>
>>    -or-
>>
>>    # portmaster -fr lang/php5
>>

>> Also double check httpd.conf once PHP5 is installed with mod_php5 --
>> the port will automatically add a line to
>> ${PREFIX}/etc/apache22/httpd.conf
>> to cause apache to load the module, which should look like this:
>>
>> LoadModule php5_module        libexec/apache22/libphp5.so
>>
>> As I recall, PHP5 creates that line as shown, which should work straight
>> away, but some modules add a commented out LoadModule line, so it would
>> be a good idea to eliminate that as a potential problem.
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>>     Matthew
>>

> Basically, I have done all that except using the -f parameter.
> In effect, php5 is trying to add the mod_php5 module, only it is getting
> the directory name as apache2 and not apache22 and is thus creating
> apache2 directories... from what I could find in the Makefile or
> somewhere I don't recall, this directory comes from some PATH type
> thingy... $LD_LIBRARY_PATH but I don't know or could not find the source
> of this.
> PJ

So, I delted everything from /usr/ports/ except /distfiles, did csup -L
2 ports-supfile and reinstalled php5 and apache22... now it works...
but...
there is some confusion here as my httpd.conf file is set for/usr/local
as document root.
Now, apache seems to have created a data folder under that root - only
the document root has always been set to /usr/local/www/apache22/data ....
now who went and changed at that again... was it really necessary?
I don't understand this kind of mucking about...
in 7.2 and previous releases this never changed... now, all of a sudden,
it's different!
Now, when accessing apache either remotely or from localhost, the first
file is sought at /usr/local/data even when the virtual host is set to
/usr/local/www/apache22/data

Is there an explanation for this? My settings are identical on all my
installations of 7.2 and the new 8.0, yet the results are different.

TIA