Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:28:42 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thankyou! Re: I'm at a loss for a way to mount this second harddrive

* chip <chip@wiegand.org> [000413 07:00] wrote:
> THANKYOU! Running fsck did the trick. The e partition is the one with
> the data I need. I sure do appreciate your patience, which just about
> ran out with me. :) I'm trying to get it, honestly.
> You're right, I should look more closely at what in front of my nose.
> I have the book The Complete FreeBSD but I don't believe it is this
> specific about mounting partitions, and all I know is from that book.
> And it is a good book, maybe a little to sparse on some details, but
> it a good book for a beginner, like me.
> Now for my next task - printing. Oh boy, I'll post a new message
> about that. Maybe you can take a break from me and someone else can
> help with that one. Heh, heh, you've been a great help, thanks again.

Here's a trick that can help out, if you're running commands,
especially as root and things aren't working out, try running
'dmesg' after the command to see if the kernel complained about
anything.

I'm 99% sure that you'd see:

 WARNING: R/W mount of /dev/wd3s1e denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck

Near the end of the kernel log, you'll find a lot of other situations
where this can really help.