Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 16:56:46 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        mw@freibergnet.de
Cc:        Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: >64M memory

Martin Welk wrote:

> On 10-Sep-98 Roland Jesse wrote:
>
> () > Is there something I need to do to enable >64Mg on a 2.2.7 machine.
> ()  The 'problem' seem to be worked out. My 2.2.7 recognized all 128 MB RAM
> ()  out of the box.
>
> AFAIR, there was the problem that older PC BIOSes don't write the correct
> memory size into BIOS variables due to size limitations of that space. So
> you probably have to put the max. RAM size FreeBSD should recognize into
> the kernel config file for your machine. Have a look at the documentation,
> but before, have a look at your kernel boot output (dmesg,
> /var/log/messages) if it recognizes all of your RAM.

I had a "64 MB problem" when first booted my machine, which is
based on an Iwill PIILS mb (Award BIOS) and has 128 MB of RAM.
After fiddling a little with the BIOS settings, I found that the
"memory hole at 64M" was active. This setting prevented FreeBSD
from detecting the RAM over the 64M limit. When I deactivated
the "memory hole", FreeBSD detected all the 128M of RAM.

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-944647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139