Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:03:23
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Networking questions

While trying to debug my VPN connection, I've come to the conclusion that my
networking knowledge is severely outdated and lacking in several areas
(which is fine, I like learning new stuff). I worked with SunOS, AIX and
NextStep about 10 years ago, did SLIP, but need info especially when it
come's to a lot of the "new" things (tunneling, pptp), but also in regards
to some of the old that I never really got involved in (nat, firewalls).

I wonder if anyone knows some good links to get a basic overview of
networking concepts and practices.  I know what TCP/IP, UDP and such are and
how they work in general, the OSI model etc etc, but I'm thinking of things
like: where does a VPN tunnel fit in a normal network setup - is it
parallell to the existing network(s), do exisiting hosts use aliases (so
each has a regular LAN IP and a VPN IP on the same interface) or what? Does
natd function on the outside, inside or from within a firewall? In a
gatewayed system, where do virtual adapters (tunnels and pptp/ppp) end up
relative to the existing internal LAN and external Internet/WAN? Trying to
get all of this in a clear conceptual framework in my head so I know where
to look to debug this problem I'm having with mpd-netgraph, and to better
understand my own network setup both now and in the future.

My ISP turns off the NAT system for good tomorrow and allows only VPN
connections from then on (which I still haven't gotten to work), so it might
be a while before I'm able to reply to any messages, but I should manage to
be able to read responses from somewhere.

Regards,
Thor