Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 11:35:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Craig Huckabee <huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   More pty questions

Happy New Year everyone,

	I'm still looking for help with the correct configuration of my
	pty's.  My main questions are :

	1) The kernel config has a line like :

	pseudo-device   pty     16      #Pseudo ttys - can go as high as 64

	 what if I want to use 256?  I decided to experiment and I made
	 160 pty devices (using /dev/MAKEDEV pty{0,1,2,3,4}) and added the
	 appropriate entries to /etc/ttys.  I restarted init and tried to
	 use the new ptys (I have an expect script that kicks off a bunch
	 of outgoing telnet sessions) - it failed after 14.

	 So I made a new kernel with 'pseudo-device pty 160', and 'config'
	 made a pty.h file that contained :

	 #define NPTY 1606

	 I went ahead and made the new kernel, and installed it - it runs and
	 I am now able to use all of my pty entries.  So far, so good.

	 But I am concerned about the weird pty.h file and I'm wondering about
	 the comment in the kernel config file - what is the 64 limit?
	 BTW, this same comment is made in the FreeBSD Handbook section on
	 the pseudo-device 'pty'.

	 What am I doing wrong here?

	2) The MAKEDEV script has the following comment :

	  # This still leaves [tuTU].

	Do I just have to add the t,u,T,U pieces to the script to use these
	ptys or is the support for these 'extra' pty devices in the code ?

	I hope these questions aren't too stupid, but can anyone help me
	see the light?

	Thanks,
	Craig
	huck@nosc.mil