Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2019 17:32:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need X-server to run in bhyve guest

> Victor Sudakov wrote:
> >
> > Fine, I will experiment with that. Maybe Gnome or xfce will recognize
> > this console as a monitor.
> >
> > Thank you for the hint, Rodney!
>
> Nope, would not run for me in the VNC console (see below). Did you do
> anything special?
>
> /usr/local/bin/startxfce4: Starting X server
>

> X.Org X Server 1.18.4
> Release Date: 2016-07-19
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p12 amd64
> Current Operating System: FreeBSD uefi1.sibptus.ru 12.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE r354233 GENERIC amd64
> Build Date: 14 November 2019  08:46:03AM
>
> Current version of pixman: 0.38.4
> 	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
> 	to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> 	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> 	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Dec  2 23:28:28 2019
> (==) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
> scfb trace: probe start
> scfb trace: probe done
> (EE)
> Fatal server error:
> (EE) Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs        for all framebuffer devices
> (EE)
> (EE)
> Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
> 	 at http://wiki.x.org
>  for help.
> (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
> (EE)
> (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
> xinit: giving up
> xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
> xinit: server error

TO fix some of your issues, ie the fact that the kernel boot
messages and the installer do not appear in the vnc display
if you drop to the loader prompt during the boot process and
set serial_boot="NO"
then you get the kernel boot messages and the installer in
the vnc output.

Once you finished the install adding:
boot_serial="NO"
/boot/loader.conf

works around the fact the kernel boot messages are going to a serial console.

This *may* effect x11 startup, I havent got to that part yet...