Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2012 09:31:33 -0400
From:      Naram Qashat <cyberbotx@cyberbotx.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] Please convert your ports to new options framework

On 06/03/12 14:44, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new options framework is now in the port for a week, most of the problems
> directly concerning the framework seems to have been addressed.
>
> Some issue seems still to be there regarding backward compatibility but I
> haven't been able to reproduced any of the one that are supposed to be left.
>
> The porters handbook has been updated and the new option framework is well
> documented (thank you crees)
>
> Please convert as soon as possible your ports to the new framework. As you may
> already have notice bsd.options.desc.mk provide shared descriptions of the usual
> options, try to be consistent and reuse the same options name so that it is
> simpler for users, please override the description for your ports each time it
> make sense, remember that most of the time a functional description is more
> accurate than a technical one, users might not know the technical details but
> they know what functionnality they do want.
>
> All the complaints I found in the past concerning the old framework have been
> addressed in the new one, you can have mutually exclusive options, checked by
> the framework, you can have group options, you can have 0 or only 1 option among
> N or 0 or N options among M. be creative, most of the use case should be doable.
>
> for 3 special options: DOCS, EXAMPLES and NLS, you do not need to activate them
> in OPTIONS_DEFAULT as the framework already activate them. you also do not need
> to add them to OPTIONS_DEFINE if you only use one of them, do avoid having the
> dialog UI to show up.
>
> DOCS in long term maybe used to replace NOPORTDOCS (NOPORTDOCS is defined has a
> backward compatibility if as a user you remove it).
>
> Same goes for EXAMPLES ->  NOPORTEXAMPLES
> and NLS ->  WITHOUT_NLS
>
> In my concern the priority is:
>
> 1/ convert all the old OPTIONS:
> Here is a list of them
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/Options/ConvertingToOptionsNG
>
> 2/ replace all the knobs by optionsNg options (replacing the KNOBS file by
> bsd.options.desc
>
> regards,
> Bapt

So I have a question from a consumer standpoint as opposed to a maintainer
standpoint.  If we use portconf to store all of our WITH_* options for ports,
will that continue to work with ports that have switched to optionsng or is
there something I need to change in my ports.conf file for the options to
continue to be recognized?

Thanks,
Naram Qashat