Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:41:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question regarding Virtual Interfaces

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, jesse reynolds wrote:
> arp -s 203.1.2.3 00:80:5f:84:5d:63

The only problem with this is that it will break if you ever change
the NIC.

> Now, my question then becomes, what is the best way to fix this on
> startup, so that all services come up normally that rely on this ip
> address...

As was mentioned earlier, adding "route add <virtual_ip> 127.0.0.1" to
the /etc/rc.local (or /usr/local/etc/rc.d/rc.local) seems to work.

> is it a bug in 3.3 perhaps that it doesn't happen automatically?

It's a bug that has always existed in FreeBSD AFAIK.  The recommended
fix is to use a 255.255.255.255 netmask, however, this will break other
things on the network.

Anyone know what the logic behind this bug^H^H^Hfeature might be?

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting