Date:      Sun, 07 May 2000 14:18:51 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect Office2000 for Linux--Installable?

Brennan W Stehling wrote:

> Interesting to know.  I think Star Office is a great replacement for WP
> and Word.  It is a full office suite and I am surprised how powerful it
> is.
>
> It runs on just about every system and they are working on the Mac version
> now.  Why go not go with an option that makes it easy to install and then
> to use.
>
> And soon enough KOffice will be just as appealing.  That should run on any
> Unix system you want to compile it on.  Corel needs to learn to play the
> game if they want to be a player.

The only problem so far is what versions KOffice will run with. I seem
to remember that you need Qt-2.x and kdevelop and other programs at
this point only run on 1.45. You have to choose what you want to run.

WordPerfect 8 was such a step up from what WordPerfect Corp. and then
Novell did. I hid my "Just Say No" button for Wordperfect when 8 came
out. The step to 2000 (WP-9) changed things but it still doesn't
cooperate in a civil manner on Windows 2000. It basically wants the
whole cpu and if you are running anything in the background, it is
really sluggish. I always have things running in the background
(Setiathome) and that means SOS on FreeBSD. They also raised the
smallest font from 4 to 6, which has forced me on occasions to
printing using landscape mode instead of portrait. The problem is some
cross referencing programs assume you have 60 lines or so an a page
and you suddenly have to look up options you haven't used for years.

Kent

> Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
> projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com
>
> Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
>
> On Sun, 7 May 2000, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 01:46:51PM -0500, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I realized that about 2 minutes after I sent the email when I
> > > decided to install WP8 myself.  I am thinking that if WP8 for linux
> > > can install, you can get WP2000 to install, ...
> >
> > You can not really make that jump from WP8 to WP2000. The reason I
> > say that is because WP8 is a Linux binary and WP2000 is actually the
> > Windows version with the necessary version of WINE included to run it
> > on Linux. Note that the version of WINE that Corel uses is their own
> > development branch so just installing the FreeBSD WINE port will not get
> > you any further. Somewhere on Corel's Web site I read that the changes
> > they [Corel] were making to WINE were not being incorporated into the
> > WINE project fast enough so they decided to ship their own modified
> > version. Smells like market pressure to me.
> >
> > I have not played with any version of WINE in a very long time but my
> > understanding was that it does not run as well on FreeBSD as it does on
> > Linux. Perhaps Corel's version would run better?
> >
> > --
> > Glenn Johnson
> > glennpj@bayouhome.net

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html