Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2002 08:01:15 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using a laptop as a main machine

> From: "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 09:25:44 -0500
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> I switched to a laptop as my main (only) computer when my Amiga 1000 bit
> the dust in 1995 or so (I checked and my first posting to FreeBSD list
> was in 1996, so I think that 1995 is right since I used Linux for the
> first six months or so).  (I've had *a* laptop since 1992ish -- a
> Bondwell B200.)
>

> So I have some experience with this . . .
>

> I'm surprised that nobody else has mentioned this.
>
> THE most important feature on a laptop BY FAR is a good warrenty.
>
> I insist on a three-year warrenty, which is why I buy Dells.  Their
> service is excellent.  I didnt get "on-site" service, but they pick up
> and deliver via Airborne Express, and if I ship it on Friday I have it
> back by Tuesday morning, so never without it for more than three days.
>
> I do have a desktop at work.  It runs Windows and it's old an slow and
> the display is muddy but it will do in a pinch, so I can survive three
> (miserable) days without my main machine.
>
> If you use your laptop -- really use it, and I carry mine everywhere; in
> and back to work every day, on my lap with the wireless card outside
> while watching the kids play, in my car while waiting for people; I
> even carry it around the house with me from room to room -- then it
> *will* require service.
>
> If it just sits on your desk 90% of the time, maybe not.

I have been using ThinkPads for about 7 years and just got my third
one. I expect a laptop to last 3 years. By then the technology is just
too far behind the power curve for new applications and I get a new
one.

All of my ThinkPads are still functional and (when running FreeBSD)
reasonably usable. None has every needed service except to replace the
battery. (They seem to last about 2 years.) The only other failure was
a dead row on the LCD of the oldest ThinkPad. More notably, my entire
group (7 people) use them and I am only aware of one failure (keyboard
dies) and that was after three years while we were waiting for the new
ones to arrive.

They have always simply worked...on my desk, at home on wireless (at
least the last two), on travel at conferences and on planes. If you
don't think I take it everywhere, just ask my wife. Our honeymoon and
a 6th anniversary trip to Hawaii were probably the only tow time I've
been separated from my laptop since we were married.

I think you need to look at more reliable laptops.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)