Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 1997 09:37:19 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        phk@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   utmp changes

I'm just back from a few weeks out of the country, so my memory may be
stale, but I thought if we were going to break utmp compatibility, we
were going to put in ALL of the requested changes right now, instead
of doing it bit by bit.

I believe P-H wanted a larger field for the host size (16 is silly) and
an additional field for the IPv[46] address.  If so, let's get them done
now before we have to re-compile and link every application twice.

(I'm really unhappy about X11 code changing.  Perhaps it's time to augment
 the utmp/wtmp write stuff in libutil into a full blown read/write package?)

Paul