Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:31:55 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Daemon <daemon@ircee.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: recovering ufs after fat games

> Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:11:53 -0400
> From: Daemon <daemon@ircee.com>
>
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:13:15 -0700
> "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> wrote:
>
>   It's on a Dell Deminsion 4300 ... barely a year old and has a Maxtor 7200 40Gig hard drive.  I also tried going to the ../tool directory on the "Install" cd and doing bootisnt.exe boot.bin in the DOS prompt but that didn't work either.
>   Looking at the partitions in Partition Magic, I can see both partitions "Active" but can't boot into FreeBSD.  Also, if I try to boot into FreeBSD using the "PQBoot" program is shows what was "F3=DOS" as "F3=???" upon reboot.  I have to load the Partition Magic "restore" floppies in order to make the DOS partition Active again so I can at least boot into Windows.

This system will definitely support packet bootstrap. Did you try:
boot0cfg -B -o packet ad0

This should do the trick for you.

The other option is to use Partition Magic to move the partitions
around so that the FreeBSD partition is at the front of the disk.

Last thought: is the drive configured in BIOS as LBA? I don't think the
Dell BIOS even has an option to make the disk CHS, but I don't have a
Dell handy to check it out at the moment. Any disk over 2 GB should be
accesses as LBA.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)