Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:56:24 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading our mail server

--==========2A1EA59F48375699F49B==========

--On Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:45:49 -0500 Greg Groth=20
<ggroth@gregs-garage.com> wrote:

> Are any of the major server brands more FreeBSD friendly than others? I'm
> looking to purchase a server for some web apps.  Our current config is
> running on a 6 year old Dell PowerEdge machine with SCSI RAID 5, 1 Ghz
> processor, 32 gig total disk capacity, and a gig of RAM.  Upgrading this
> machine would cost more than it's worth.  Boss insists on a name brand
> server (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc).  Budget is in the $2K range.  I'd rather
> stay away from SATA at this point due to the incredible amount of
> difficulty I experienced putting together a MythTV box earlier this year,
> and go with SCSI.  If no one has specific recommendations, are there any
> specifics that are definite show stoppers that I should pay attention to
> when reviewing specs?

I just bought a Dell 1950 rack mount with two 73GB SAS drives (3.5 inch,=20
15K RPM), PERC 5/i integrated card, RAID 1, DRAC, 3.2GB processor, 2GB RAM, =

etc.  It was $2800+ including shipping.  I *think* you can get down to the=20
$2000 range by downgrading the processor and memory and getting smaller=20
drives, but it's not going to be easy.  (I'll be installing FreeBSD 6.1=20
RELEASE on it tonight.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas