Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 18:18:36 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        Webmaster@Web-Choice.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should I take the risk? ot use my 386?

Mike J Schoonbrood writes:
> Hi,
>
> I am running MS Windows 98 BETA 3, but want to setup a Web Server for
> FTP, E-mail, HTTP, Gopher etc. I was reccomended Red Hat Linux 5, so I
> got a GNU Version for $5, when I installed it, it really messed up my
> hard drive partitions!! In fact, 1 gig of my data is still in NON-DOS
> Format, and it won't change back!

We're talking about two computers here? The messed up one above, and an
old one below that's safe to mess up?  :-)

> Here's the major thing.....I want to see what a UNIX System is like, but
> after what happened with Linux, I am afraid of the results, here's what
> I though I might do....find a way to install it to my old 386 Computer,
> it doesn't have a modem, only s floppy drive and 175 Meg Hard
> Drive....how do I install it? Can I get FreeBSD from the net and onto
> Floppy?

You can dedicate the whole 386 to your FreeBSD experiment? Its pretty
easy to use up that 175MB HD. 5M of memory is the minimum for an
install. 8M runs fairly nicely as long as you don't run X. Am not sure
you could install FreeBSD and X in only 175M.

Sounds like from your sig that you might have plenty of bandwidth. So
download the FreeBSD 2.2.6 installation floppy. Connect your 386 to your
network. Boot with the installation floppy. Answer the questions. And it
will install over the net. Even if it has to dial out the modem to your
ISP. (or so I'm told).

I've never installed quite that way as I only have a 28.8k modem. I
either keep a local mirror of the latest -stable, or export the CDROM
via NFS. Still boot the installation floppy but I answer some of the
questions differently so installation points to my source.

The best thing to do is support Walnut Creek and pay $39.95 + $5 S&H
for the CD's. If the 386 doesn't have a CDROM then you should be able
to put the CD in the other machine and start an ftpd. Create the boot
floppy to boot the 386. When you answer the questions, tell it to
install via ftp from your other machine.