Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:38:34 +0200
From:      flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
To:        Domas Mituzas <domas.mituzas@microlink.lt>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, bugtraq@securityfocus.com, os_bsd@konferencijos.lt
Subject:   Re: Apache worm in the wild

--YZ5djTAD1cGYuMQK

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 01:01:32PM +0200, Domas Mituzas wrote:

Hi,

> our honeypot systems trapped new apache worm(+trojan) in the wild. It
> traverses through the net, and installs itself on all vulnerable apaches
> it finds. No source code available yet, but I put the binaries into public

Wow, an interesting puppy. I just ran it through dasm to get the
assembler dump. The executable is not even stripped, and makes an
interesting read, as it gives lots of information. It looks like it was
either coded by someone with little experience or in a hurry, and there
are several system calls like this one:

Possible reference to string:
"/usr/bin/uudecode -p /tmp/.uua > /tmp/.a;killall -9 .a;chmod +x /tmp/.a;ki=
llall -9 .a;/
tmp/.a %s;exit;"

I wonder how many variants of this kind of thing we'll see, but I assume mo=
st people=20
running Apache have upgraded already.

Cheers,
--=20