Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 23:56:42 +0100
From:      Bernd Rosauer <br@schiele-ct.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCCARD modem config?

Hi,

I got some questions concerning how to configure the operation of
a PCCARD modem.  I am using a TP560, and my PCCARD modem is a ELSA
MicroLink 33.6MC.  The modem is one of Germany's best-selling PCCARD
modems, but it cannot be found on PAO's SUPPORTED.CARDS list.

I made pccardd recognize my modem card, i.e. the card's manufacturer
and version, but I cannot set the config line for the card identifier.
The index parameter refers to the card's configuration index which
does not mean anything to me since I do not know anything about
PCMCIA in general and CIS in particular.  Is there a way to read
out the various configuration indices of the card in order to
determine the appropiate one? I would be happy if I could do that
with UNIX software because I do not run DOS/Windows on any hard
disk.

The next point is how to choose the driver and the interrupt flag.
In the kernel I configured sio0 at irq4 and sio1 at irq3.  In
/etc/pccard.conf.sample most entries for modems set the driver to
sio2.  Would that be ok for a TP560? I guess, then sio2 must be
configured in the kernel.  But will I need to use the irq which I
set in the kernel configuration in the config line of /etc/pccard.conf,
too? Would it be ok if the pccardd chooses another irq from the
resource pool which was not specified by the kernel configuration?

It seems to me that I suffer from a principal lack of understanding
at this point.  Is there any kind soul who could put me back on
the right track? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Bernd