Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:51:23 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

On Mar 28, 2005, at 9:21 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Chris writes:
>
>> Yay! *claps*
>>
>> Isn't that what Ted has been telling you to an extent - that it's the
>> HP/Compaq microcode in the drivers?
>
> No.  He and most other people have been trying to convince me that it's
> defective hardware, and not a deficiency of the operating system.

Microcode *in the hardware*....um...hello?<tap tap tap> This thing
on?....

> In this case, the OS is defective, because it's not doing its job.  I
> know the job can be done because Windows NT does it.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong Ted (et al), that he's saying the
microcode in the hardware was modified, thus has a bug proprietary to
the HP implementation of that controller, and the driver/interface in
NT either didn't get the error or was *ignoring* the error, whereas
FreeBSD, with a driver/interface based on the generic and marketed
version of the controller, was saying HELLO, SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT
HERE!, and spewed it to the error logs.  That makes it a hardware
problem, unless you modify that driver to ignore the error (like NT
does) or get rid of the proprietary and/or possibly failing controller
in the first place.

>> Anthony - have you ever setup a new HP/Compaq server? Ever use the
>> SmartStart CD's?
>
> I don't remember if I ever did it myself.  Compaq servers are such a
> nightmare that I tried to avoid dealing with them.

Because they modify things so they're *almost* off the shelf, but
aren't, perhaps?  Among other things they do to introduce "glitches"?

>> In contrast, you CAN'T (hear me again) CAN'T install Windows (shrink
>> wrap) on the above without them. It's becasue HP/C has propriatarty
>> drivers.
>
> That may be, but I installed an off-the-shelf retail version of Windows
> NT on this system, and it ran without any problems at all.

If you want to keep insisting on how superior it is, then reinstall it
and ignore the warnings.  Why is this not an option to consider?