Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:10:52 +0400
From:      "dotslash" <dotslash@linif.org>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, "Matt Barton" <matt@fear.net>, "Chris Phillips" <chris@selkie.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD w 3C905 cannot connect to Cisco 3524XL switch

> > On 4/24/01 10:28 PM, "Chris Phillips" <chris@selkie.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I would have to agree with Matthew.  I have about 80 boxes sitting
> behind a
> > > 3524XL-EN all using Intel cards and have never had a problem.  I avoid
> most
> > > other cards, but 3COM cards I avoid like the plague.
> >
> > What are your reasons for avoiding 3Com cards?  I'm just curious to
know.

> > In my past experience, 3Com cards seem to be very common, in both
servers
> > and workstations.
>
> Yes, but common != { reliable, co-operative }.

i'm wondering what's the reason why.  i've used 3com nics for the past 10
years and my experience with them are reliable. for my *nix boxes here i've
been using the vortex nics and they work fine.

i think the real problem here (in this thread) is your cisco router.  the
default config of the ports for cisco are the cause of our problems so we
have to reconfigure them (don't have the details right now).