Date:      07 Oct 2004 09:21:59 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot log into 4.10 machine via ssh

Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de> writes:

> > Have you ensured that it doesn't work from other locations?
> Yes, I tried three machines on our lan and the server itself.

Okay, that's a very convenient place to start.  From the server
itself, you must have been using a different ssh client (probably the
one in the FreeBSD base system), so you can rule out blaming putty.

>From the server, use ssh(1) with increased verbosity ("-v" or even
"-vvv") and see what it says.  Most likely, though, you will need to
increase the verbosity of the ssh *server* and see what it's
complaining about in the connection.  The most convenient (IMO) way to
do this is to shut down your existing ssh server and start a new one
from the command line with the "-d" (or even "-ddd") option.