Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 22:51:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION PLEASE: g77 in base system.

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > Yeah, I'm serious, I would really like gcj+libgcj, to get java stuff
> > compiled (non portably) into binaries on FreeBSD.
>
> 1. I agree in principle.
>
> 2. I'd sort of like to see a second release of this, at least, before
>    we start talking seriously of bringing it into -current.  I predict
>    a rapidly changing Doppler on this target.

gcj is still pretty wet behind the ears at this point. So it seems
one approach would be to have it in there but by default not
compiled/included (the sources are already part of egcs and so in
the tree as I understand it). Then when/if it becomes more stable
and loved by the world we can flip that switch to default to on.

Additionally, the "libgjc" component that was just released should
be made into a port for now (this is the runtime that goes with
the gcj Java compiler).

Longer term, I think there is enough interest in it that this combo
will eventually become the most popular freeware runtime for Java.

-Archie