Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 04:22:22 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/BSD/

Sue Blake wrote:

> On Sun, May 24, 1998 at 03:12:30AM -0400, Malartre wrote:
> > Sue Blake wrote:

> > > I've mailed it to you.
> > >
> > > As you will see, there's a large blank margin on the left and on the
> > > right, and the two columns of text in the centre overlap each other.
> > > I can't see the end of some of the words on the left.
> > >
> > > Other words appear as a list, but I think that some of those words are
> > > supposed to appear together as a single phrase. They don't.
> > >
> > > The bottom half of the page has no text on the left, only a section to
> > > the right of the centre. The four graphics at the bottom are not centred
> > > with respect to this text, and are bunched up. On the FreeBSD site these
> > > four are nicely spread out over the width of the window, whatever size
> > > that window is.
> > >
> > > These are the things that happen when you try describe screen layout
> > > instead of describing the document and letting the client handle it.

> > > That's not a good reason :-)
> > > Besides, it should be right for anybody. It should not work just for my
> > > window, but it should work for every possible window size.

> > > Did you validate the HTML yet?

> > > OK, now that I know what your objectives are I can take a proper look at
> > > it with that in mind. It seems like the main thing you wanted to do was
> > > to put links on the first page which lead to most of the other pages.
> > > That is a nice idea, and you've made a very good start on that part of it
> > > even though it's impossible for me to see it in its best light at the moment.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >         -*Sue*-
> >
> > The main problem is OK nowthere was an error, I have forget to do that:
> > CELLPADDING=3
> > The problem should now be ok.
>
> The words still overlap, slightly differently now.
>
> > The main problem with your browser setting his than you have modified how big you
> > want to see letters. Its ok, now than I have putted a cellpading. I even tested it
> > with more bigger letter than yours.
>
> Sorry, I don't see this as being *my* problem. I believe it is up to the
> client to decide how a page should be displayed. The HTML should merely
> describe the document structure. If nobody else believes this, fine, I'll
> shut up.
>
> > Now, your problem is than there is a lot of wasted space on the down left side. But
> > there is not a lot of thing to do, that's a main problem when you do 2 vertical
> > line. Also:WIDTH=600 have nothing to do with that problem.
> >
> > For the wasted space on the *left and right*, it should not be wasted when you see
> > the page in the habitual way: there is not to much vertical scrolling.
>
> I don't think it's worth going into the details any more on this.
> Either you're happy with the way it is or you heard me the first time.
>

> > "Did you validate the HTML yet?" I try right now
> >
> > Never forget than when you change the way IN netscape you look a page, you get a
> [...]

 I dont think its your problem, its *a* problem. But its you who say it to me, so I talk
to you ;-) Never think I let you on the side, I was thinking the cellpading would make it
OK. If not, send me a screenshot. Me to maybe one day I will use those function in
Netscape. If netscape was able to let you arrange width like the font size... I try to
found a way to arrange that. Can you please check with your configuration other web site
(like linux.org or site like who use the 2 column protocol and try to see if it do the
error? http://www.news.com/
http://www.zdnet.com/
etc...)

Maybe I will arrange the problem if I do .gif has link like on Linux.ORG left side.

Again, say me your Netscape version and a screen shot please.

I always listen you, sorry
Malartre