Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 11:17:01 -0500
From:      Jonah Sherman <jsherman@stuy.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Partial Buildworld Possible?

Hi, I would appreciate it if someone could explain why buildworld must
rebuild _everything_, even if there is one small change(or no changes).
For example, if I do the initial buildworld, then cvsup and see that code for
/bin/ls has changed, then buildworld again, it recompiles everything.
Shouldn't buildworld only recompile /bin/ls?
Even if *nothing* changes, and I were to just run make buildworld two times
consecutively, it still recompiles everything.  Could someone explain why
this is the behavior instead of just compiling what has changed?

Please CC jsherman@stuy.edu on any replies, im not currently subscribed
to -questions

Thanks,
Jonah