Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 15:59:49 -0800
From:      Gopakumar H Pillai <gopu@global.com>
To:        Calin Andrian <calin@ibd.dbio.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: APC Back UPS monitor

I saw this mail today since I was working on montioring our UPS. Be
patient, this is a long one. May help lot of others.

I have a APC SmartUPS 1000 (rack mount). I need to use the serial port
connection to monitor power failure to shutdown all systems. APC has a
software named apc_ssd (ssd standing for Simple Signalling Daemon) which
actually does the work to certain extend. It's a C++ code. They give it
free, but licensed only to use internally.

Basically, I am planning to look into the APC ssd code and modify it. I
do not know any commands which could be given the UPS. If u have the
command set could u please send it to me? Actually I never connected to
the UPS and checked it out.

I am planning to try your code too.

Here is my need:

I have two UPS, both APC SmartUPS 1000. I have an external network and
an internal one. One is used on external and another internal. When the
power goes down I want the UPS monitor to wait for some seconds and then
notify a list of users by Paging and notify other machines to shutdown
and notify the UPS to shutdown after some seconds (say 60) and shutdown
itself. After the specified seconds the UPS shutsdown itself and comes
up when the power restores and feeding power to all machines connected.

Also I am planning a temperature monitor, which also does similar thing
except that the machines should never be powered up again until manual
intervention.

My external network is vulnerable. The bastion host could be directly
hooked up to the UPS and it can tell others to shutdown. Or I talk only
to one UPS and hook the serial ports of my internal bastion host to
external bastion host. Which is better for security reasons?

What paging software should I use. I looked at qpage, it needs a SNPP
server. Where can I get one? Can kermit do the job?

How should I request other machines to shutdown? Is broadcast on local
network ok for security reasons? Hooking up Serial ports as a chain -
doesn't look feasible.

Any other idea?

If I fix the APC ssd, I shall make it available to all, if APC agrees or
shall give to APC so that everyone can from there.

Thanks in prior for ur help.

--Gopu