Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:40:37 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 11:42:25PM +0200, a little birdie told me
that Ollivier Robert remarked
> According to Doug:
>
> > 	How fancy do you want? :) Take a look at
> > http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/Bash-prompts.txt.
>
> Is this a contest ? :)
>
> Here is mine (zsh / tcsh):
>
>     PS1="%h [%T] %B%n%b@%m:%B%2.%(#.#.>)%b "
>     export PS1
> -=-=-
>     set prompt="%h [%T] %B%n%b@%m:%B%.2%#%b "

Wimp  :P
See
http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/projects.html
and link to my .tcshrc.
Digested prompt:
set prompt="%B[%P]%b %m:%~\n(%l):{%h}%% "

The bored who read the full thing will note that %m can become %M based
on a value in a seperate config file, and that a completely seperate and
distinctive prompt is used if EUID==0.

> > 	Personally I think this is another plus in bash's favor.
>
> You should care if you write scripts with the shell where I mostly use the
> sell only for interactive purposes. Most of my scripting is done in more or
> less pure sh if less than 10 lines and in Perl if more :)

Indeed.
I LIKE using a different shell for scripting than interactive.
Interactive, tcsh is perfect.  Scripting, /bin/sh works great for me;
anything too complicated for that is what Perl is made for.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com