Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:44:40 -0500
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: fquestions

On Dec 14, 2005, at 2:21 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
>> You forgot to tell us which VIA chipset or MB-- there are lots and
>> lots of VIA-based motherboards around, with a wide variety of
>> hardware.
>
> 	Here's the URL on the board.  It looks okay, but then it was
> 	written by salesmen:).   I'm flying blind here.
>
> http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?
> DetailID=358&MenuID=22&LanID=2

The onboard graphics is "embedded UniChromeII 3D Graphics, 64M share
memory", which I do not believe is supported well under X11, you're
better off getting a real video card unless you're going to be
working remotely or headless.

The embedded AC97 audio controller probably will work, though, as
should the onboard VT6103 NIC.

>> I wouldn't get a Celeron + VIA combo; I'd rather use an Intel MB with
>> an Intel CPU, and I'd much rather get a Pentium-3/-M CPU then a
>> Celeron.  Otherwise, go with an VIA socket-A motherboard and a
>> Athlon-
>> XP/Barton/Sempron CPU, those should be quite inexpensive and yet
>> perform quite well.
>>

> 	My hardware days date from the Vax 11/70, and it's hard to
> 	keep track.  But here's another question:  What's wrong with
> 	the Celeron?  The "better" Intel would be another $100.

The Celeron's have about half to 1/4th as much L2 cache as the better
CPU.  For some specific tasks, like pure routing, it won't matter,
but for almost anything else a P3 is a much better performer.

> 	Re the Athlon, yes, it is a bit less, but doesn't it run
> 	hotter than the Intel?  Half of my platforms are Celeron
> 	and I push them hard, but if AMD is just as good, then that's
> 	the way to go.

It depends on the AMD model, the Semprons are going to run around
40W, whereas the older Althons and the Barton cores are in the
mid-60W range.  I've got a 80mm fan on my AMD3200+ Barton, but it
runs cooler than a similar 2.4GHz P4 box.  Most P4's want 70W or
more, but on the other hand, the Celerons and P3's are around 35W.

--
-Chuck