Date:      Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:39:11 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        "Jim Trigg" <jtrigg@spamcop.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: postfix on FreeBSD

On Mar 9, 2005, at 11:26 AM, Jim Trigg wrote:

> On Wed, March 9, 2005 10:43 am, Bart Silverstrim said:
>> In the /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf file, I added the line:
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_recipient_access
>> hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/access
>>
>> Then using tail -f /var/log/maillog, I got the error:
>> Mar  9 10:28:48 myserver postfix/smtpd[73796]: fatal: parameter
>> "smtpd_recipient_restrictions": specify at least one working instance
>> of: check_relay_domains, reject_unauth_destination, reject, defer or
>> defer_if_permit
>>
>> I put in a hash mark for the smtpd_ line in main.cf and ran another
>> postfix stop and start to get mail working again, but what am I doing
>> wrong with the file?
>
> Read the error message - currently you are configured to accept *any*
> message presented except those going to the specified users.  That
> includes spam intended for completely unrelated domains.  I would
> recommend using the following as a *bare* minimum:

> reject_unauth_destination, check_recipient_access
> hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/access
>
> I would also recommend looking at
> http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_ACCESS_README.html and
> http://jimsun.linxnet.com/misc/postfix-anti-UCE.txt -- they will help
> you
> understand what should be in your smtpd_*_restrictions.

I saw the errors and googled for it, but it just led to the man pages
and site web pages for the postfix project (which I read); what was
throwing me was the fact that it wasn't an open relay before and it
didn't have the directive previously.  I think it was using reasonable
defaults before and my adding that line to my main.cf overrode them
causing it to burp the error messages.