Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:02:41 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd - <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: can't find certain doc

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 02:49:46PM -0700, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:
> I thought I saw a doc called something like 'what to do if your hard drive
> gets full'. I checked the docs
> the freebsd.org and couldn't find anything like that. Is there a doc out
> there some place that tells me
> what to do when the root partition fills up, for no apparent reason? This
> machine is strictly a web
> backup box and rarely is used for anything else, yet the root partition is
> at 104%.

Try:
# cd /
# du -h -d 1 -I usr

This should tell you how much space each file/dir is using in /,
excluding, the 'usr'.  Some  of  the other dirs are bound to be
mounted filesystems, but ignore those.  Exluding 'usr' just saves
a lot of time, as `du' doesn't have to calculate that beast of a
filesystem.

Nathan