Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 15:44:09 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        smp@csn.net
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Drive recommendation

>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Passe <smp@csn.net> writes:

    >> http://www.internet.net/cgi-bin/getNode?node=110404&product_id=36756

    Steve> Do they really mean this?

They really do.  We got one of those a few months ago (it was $299
then) at it works just fine.  It's a bit loud, but tolerable.  It
doesn't even run that hot, but I do have an extra cooling fan on it
just in case.

Supposedly, the trouble with the DFRS drive is every 72 hours it shuts
down for a few seconds and then restarts.  Now, I've never witnessed
this while FreeBSD was running, but it does happen when I boot into
DOS ever so often.

Anyway, I'm happy with it, and even happier with the price.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov