Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2008 23:50:59 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        Alexander Sack <pisymbol@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does adding /usr/lib32 to LD_LIBRARY_PATH break 64-bit binaries?

--ZfOjI3PrQbgiZnxM

On 2008-Oct-24 10:43:04 +0200, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia=
=2Epl> wrote:
>> 6.1-RELEASE-amd64 machine.  If I add /usr/lib32 to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> it breaks all of my binaries on my 64-bit machine.
>
>what do you expect else?

Well, the rtld should be smart enough to recognize 32-bit .so's and
skip them when binding a 64-bit executable.  Whilst having /usr/lib32
in LD_LIBRARY_PATH doesn't make sense from a solely FreeBSD perspective,
I have done similar things when writing cross-platform scripts (to
avoid having to use platform-dependent code).

>this will make system trying to bind 32-bit libs to 64-bit program. it=20
>can't work

rtld shouldn't attempt to bind 32-bit libs to 64-bit programs.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--ZfOjI3PrQbgiZnxM

--ZfOjI3PrQbgiZnxM--