Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:53:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keith Woodman <keith@lightningweb.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fixit.flp NOW

Well.
To follow up, It wasn't the passwd at all. Went up single user after just
doing a flip of the switch to turn the machine off. Came up single user.
fsck and mount the devices. Did a  vipw. checked for oddeties. All looks
fine. Made sure that /etc/login.access wasn't all screwy and disallowing
console logins or some stupid thing. I rebooted properly this time. Came
up ok. loged in as root. Did a   cd /etc  and got an error saying.
cd: RESTRICTED     and didn't allow me to change directories. As if I were
running bash -r  or something. The last little ouch is that none of the
other system users are noticed by the system at all. Even as root trying
to do a   passwd <user>  fails telling me there is no such user. This is
very telling. I'm not entirely sure how at the moment as I am getting
a nice radiation tan from sitting in front of this monitor so dang
long today. Oh well, geuss I can be glad it was a test machine.
Any pointers out there are appreciated.
Keith

	Keith Woodman					Technical Coordinator
	Keith@lightningweb.com				Lightningweb LLC

	      pid 7962 (sniffit), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)