Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:42:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        Badaceanu Emanuel <emy_n76@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubleshoting with nat

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Badaceanu Emanuel wrote:

> Hello,
> I have two subsnet Class C and I tried to make nat
> between two network cards and the results of my works
> it is:
> - ping from the computer situated in the network 1 on
> the first card it's ok;
> - ping from the computer situated in the network 1 on
> the second card it's ok;
> But, ping from the computer situated in the network 1
> on the other computer situated in the network 2 it's
> failed.

Sounds right.  You are natting one network into the other, so pings from
the natted network are getting through, but are labelled as coming from
the NAT router, pings coming the other way don't, because they can only
see the one host.  That is what many-to-one nat is supposed to do, hide
a whole network behind one external IP address.

I think you don't want to NAT between them, you want to route.  For one,
I suspect (correct me if I'm wrong) that these two networks are LANs,
and are in LAN address space.  I find it hard to believe you have been
allocated one class C subnet by IANA, let alone two.  Maybe if you were
an co-lo, and then you would probably have guys around who already knew
what to do.

So, are they both LANs?  If so, just route between them.  Static
routeing using the "route add" command should be fine.  Leave NAT for
the gateway to the Internet proper.

Bill.