Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:48:06 -0400
From:      "William Wong" <willwong@anime.ca>
To:        "Altair Demetrio Jr." <ademetriojr@mindspring.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error after enabling NETGRAPH

> I read the PPPoE article about setting up ppp to use PPPoE.
> I tried to use ppp before compiling the kernel to see if it would work,
> but it complained about netgraph.
> So I added those "options NETGRAPH*" to the kernel, and recompiled it.
> I can connect to the Internet now, it's working... but at boot time,
> I always get these errors:
>
> Sep 13 15:45:00 /kernel: module_register: module netgraph already
> exists!
> Sep 13 15:45:00 /kernel: linker_file_sysinit "netgraph.ko" failed to
> register!

My workaround was to not statically compile netgraph into the kernel.  I
noticed that this only shows up if it's statically compiled. I'm using 4.1R
BTW.  So because it wasn't statically compiled, I edited rc.network so that
it loaded the main netgraph module before running ppp which auto auto load
the other netgraph sub components.

On a different note...

I noticed a quirk with the pppoe though.  After letting ppp run for an
extended period of time, say 8 days, ppp would NOT be able to reconnect.  I
tried reseting the modem by turning it off and on...nadda.

I tried killing ppp and trying again, nope.  Log messages would only show a
timeout of some sort. (unfortunately I don't have the log entry handy).

I used to reboot and then it'd work again, but I noticed that if I unloaded
the ng_pppoe kld it would work.  That's my workaround since...

My suggestion:  Whenever a kld is dynamically loaded by program X, the
program should unload the kld after it's finished running...

- Will