Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 13:17:19 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multi-level categories

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 12:27:47PM -0500, a little birdie told me
that Will Andrews remarked

> Not only that - but some ports will need to have their names moved to
> lowercase.. things like ORBacus, Mesa3, ORBit, and others..

In at least most cases, I support this anyway   :)
I remember taking 20 minutes to track down Mosaic, simply because it was
capitalized for no real reason I could discern..

> Why wouldn't it be a Good Idea? Can't we just patch using a patch-* regex in
> ${.CURDIR}?

Making it machine-readable is trivial.  Making reading 'ls' palpable is
harder.

> IMO, combining ${FILESDIR} and ${SCRIPTDIR} wouldn't be too bad an idea. It's
> not like anyone's scripts would break.

I'm trying to think of a good reason why files/, scripts/, and patches/
can't all be combined into files/.  That's what they all are, anyway...

> Hmm.. just had a thought. That CVS directory - I normally rm -rf all of them so
> that the patches I send via send-pr won't have them in there. But we could
> drive towards having people use these CVS/ dirs for what they're for - making
> patches. Seems like porting.html could cover this topic..?

????
The CVS/ dir is created by CVS when you checkout the tree.  They have
nothing to do with the port itself.  In fact, most of us *USE* those CVS/
dirs to create patches for send-pr (read: 'cvs diff').

> Well, I'm not sure that eradicating ${PKGDIR}, ${FILESDIR}, etc. would help
> much with management.. or filesystem performance.

AFA filesystem performance it would make a BIG difference.  All ports
have files/, and a large number (most?) have patches/.  I'd say that
sticking everything in files/ would cut the number of dirs practically
in half.  Yay, a /usr/ports that uses a less-than-obscene number of
inodes!

> BTW, is the current format for files/md5:
>
> MD5 (ORBit-0.5.0.tar.gz) = ff977db3e5273bf6e13dd3124bed0696
>
> efficient? Seems like we could program the makesum target to remove the first
> three tokens altogether. Right now, this is what is used to extract the

That doesn't work when we have multiple files for a port.  It also makes
it easy to transition to another hash scheme for checksums in the future
if necessary; just use a different first token.  I don't think forking
off a few extra processes during the checksum check is any huge performance
sink.  Even musca (my 2.1.5 386/16 with 4 megs of RAM) can handle that
in a fairly trivial amount of time.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com