Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:18:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and surviving unclean shutdowns

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

:Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx> types:
:> On 26 Jun 2001 03:04:40 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
:> > The only problem with all this is that once the system shuts down it
:> > won't automatically power back up.  (if it's a soft power up system)
:> Only one of our servers has this function. It's an Intel Server board
:> and it seems to be one of the few Motherboards that I've been able to
:> source that features the 'auto-on' when there's power. Some of the
:> workstations around here turn on automatically, but I think that's from
:> being dropped or something :-)
:
:This isn't really a problem - if your system shuts down because the
:UPS ran out of power, you don't want it to power back up until you're
:sure power is restored. Power flickers are common after an outage, so
:having the system automatically power up after an outage could lead to
:the power to cutting out while you're in the middle of fsck'ing your
:file systems. This is very bad juju, and something you don't want to
:happen.

Well, if you've got to wait for the co-lo monkey to get around to hitting
your power switch, and you're 956 in line, you may have to wait a long time.
Some motherboards have this as a bios option.  The other way to do this is
by shorting a couple of the pins in the ATX powersupply cable.  I don't
remember which ones, though.  The solution I really like to this problem is
the one Apple used on its first machines with softpower.  The power switch
had three positions.  Off, which meant off.  On, which meant on or off
depending on software.  Push it to on, and machine powered on; when the OS
shutdown, power was shut off; pressing the power key on keyboard turned it
on.  In this state, the machine wouldn't automatically start on power
restoration.  If you pushed the power switch to on, and then twisted it, the
machine behaved the same as normal on, except it would auto-start on power
restoration.  They, of course, gave up on the schem as too expensive.

David
--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.