Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:51:01 -0600
From:      "GB" <gregbrooks@blue-mouse.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CPAN, Perl modules and FreeBSD

Folks, a quick question:

Problem: Using CPAN's install functionality messes up Perl.

Background: In trying to prepare my box for WebGUI
(www.plainblack.com/index.pl/webgui), I need to install several Perl
modules. When installing them via CPAN using:

# perl -MCPAN -e shell
# install foo
# install foo2
(etcetera)

one or more installs will inevitably begin downloading Perl 5.6.x, even
when it's installed on the machine, AND even when I've indicated that
CPAN should ask before installing dependencies.

I've tried letting CPAN autoconfigure, as well as configuring manually.

Specific questions:

* Should I just skip -MCPAN and instead download tarballs that I would
decompress/make/make test/make install? (Likely answer: Yes, but I want
to know what's breaking the auto-install if at all possible.)

* What version of Perl is installed as part of the standard 4.5-RELEASE?

* Should I generally stick with the 4.5-installed version of Perl, or
upgrade to the 5.6.x version in the ports tree? If I'm upgrading, how
would I deinstall the original Perl installation? (It doesn't seem to be
a pkg, but I may be missing something).

Grateful in advance,
Greg