Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:50:41 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Dave Evans <devans@hclb.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd not working on latest current 2002-10-20

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 02:16:32PM -0700, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > > Until pppd is taught to create the interface if one doesn't
> > > exist, this information needs to be in /usr/src/UPDATING.
> >=20
> > pppd doesn't need to be taught to create the interface.  Rather it need=
ed
> > to learn to check for ppp support in a non-stupid way.  The following
> > patch should do it as well as making pppd do the right thing when
> > support isn't compiled in, but a module is available.  It should make
> > things work with a GENERIC kernel.
>=20
> `device ppp' was already defined in my kernel config file so
> there was no need to kldload if_ppp.  But I had to run
> `ifconfig create ppp' to make things work.

RTF modfind.  The modfind check verifies that ppp is in your kernel one=20
way or another.  It IS unnecessicary to create the ppp0 interface=20
because adding a ppp line discipline does that for you.  The check for=20
ppp0 was always wrong because you might not get that interface.

> I don't much like auto kldloading modules from suid programs.

I'm waiting on more opinions on this.  It's easy enough to remove if
that's the concensous.  FWIW, ifconfig does exacly this before trying to
do anything with any interface.

-- Brooks

--=20

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2